March 2014: The Children Are Tender

Caregiving, teaching little kids to read, and riding in the pickup with Farmer John; I tweet, pin, and blog, from my home in rural Kansas. If you've landed here looking for information about my books, visit my author's page by clicking this link: Amazon.com/Linda A. Born. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, December 26, 2021

October, 2021--Catching up

Back in 1999-2000 (I think it was) I was trained to be a Reading Recovery teacher.  The year-long training was intensive, and although I'd been a first grade teacher for years, it revolutionized my understanding of the strategies children need to become proficient readers. I taught Reading Recovery for 11 years before I retired early in order to take care of my mother, who had Alzheimer's.  Since retirement I've had the privilege to tutor a few young children in reading, and the most lovely blessing of all is that I've been able to teach all three of my grandsons to read.  Isaac, above, is doing a fantastic job.  

Granddaughter Rebekah loves to make up songs and lyrics.  When she learns to play the piano, her ability to emote will be even more impressive!  


Rebekah and I had a picnic atop the hay bales one slightly chilly October afternoon.  Bekah wrapped up in the blanket I'd brought to keep the hay from being too scratchy.  


Son Jonathan celebrates his birthday in late October, with son-in-law Brian's day of birth falling about a month earlier.  This year we celebrated them together.  

Halloween!  






Son-in-law Brian made the jack-o-lanterns above right, salvaging buckets and cans from around the farm.  Very cool!  


 
Six years old!  

This month we celebrated 3 birthdays, attended a Halloween celebration, a football game, and a couple of soccer games.  John had one last diagnostic test under anesthesia and was given the all clear--no cancer, see you in six months!  

I baked a roast, made chicken and noodles, made chili and cinnamon rolls for our Halloween gathering which doubled as Isaac's birthday party, and took a meal to a friend who'd had knee surgery.  I also took a rather unusual gift to another friend for her birthday: spinach salad.  All the components for the salad were bagged separately and placed into a gift bag along with a jar of the spicy sweet dressing.  The recipe is from daughter Melinda, and includes feta cheese, dried cranberries, red onions, and mandarin oranges.  My friend and her husband claimed to truly appreciate this gift!  

I began taking blood pressure medicine and felt better almost immediately; I am now able to walk briskly and work hard without feeling like my head is going to blow up; a good thing!  

All in all, a busy, blessed month.  

No comments:

Post a Comment