March 2014: The Children Are Tender

Caregiving, teaching little kids to read, and riding in the pickup with Farmer John; I tweet, pin, and blog, from my home in rural Kansas. If you've landed here looking for information about my books, visit my author's page by clicking this link: Amazon.com/Linda A. Born. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, December 6, 2019

November, 2019

My goodness November flew by.  Thanksgiving dinner was a success, thanks to everyone pitching in to bring various side dishes in combination with my complete lack of compunction about freezing things like mashed potatoes and gravy. All I had the to do the day of our event was to coordinate an elaborate thawing process.  For anyone who believes one can't freeze mashed potatoes--Google it! Mine ended up fluffy and perfectly adequate for our needs!  Here's a link to some that are very much like what I did, but I thawed them in a low oven, stirred to fluff, and put into the crockpot on the lowest setting until serving time:


My really controversial move was to bake and freeze the turkey ahead.  I know, I know, I know.  Just don't argue with me on this; I'm getting older, and the last minute hassle (and uncertainty) of carving a turkey fresh out of the oven is too much for me.  One reaches a stage when "good enough" is just fine!   I bought and baked a fresh turkey, carved it, covered it with broth, and froze it right in its serving dish about a week ahead of time.  On Thanksgiving day I placed the frozen dish into a 275 degree oven for about 90 minutes, checking and adjusting the heat as needed.  At serving time I drained the excess broth, and voila!  Moist, yummy turkey.  I promise, it was just as good and perhaps better than turkey I have made the day of the event; it seems as though the gentle heating in broth rehydrates even the white meat which we all know tends to be dry.

So many sweet family times happened during November.  I always feel like placing a caveat on all the golden moments I record here; this is my "counting our blessings" blog.  I don't record sorrows, or offer counsel for others suffering the burdens of a heavy caregiving load, as I do at http://copingandpraying.blogspot.com.  It is an excellent exercise for me to place my focus upon the portions of our days that are pure, lovely, excellent and praiseworthy (see Philippians 4:8).   

It occurs to me that some folks might question whether a frozen-ahead  turkey counts as a golden moment....

But anyway, here are some November memories that accentuate the positive:  


Change happens so fast as the days shorten during November.  This was at the beginning of the month before the leaves on the red maple had turned.  

New hairdo for Mel...


New glasses frames for me...







Moose appears to really appreciate the beauty of this sunset. :-)  




No comments:

Post a Comment