March 2014: The Children Are Tender

Caregiving, teaching little kids to read, and riding in the pickup with Farmer John; I tweet, pin, and blog, from my home in rural Kansas. If you've landed here looking for information about my books, visit my author's page by clicking this link: Amazon.com/Linda A. Born. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Busy, Beautiful December

I focus on blessings and positives in this blog, almost as a coping mechanism for the things that are difficult.  A sorrow for us now is that my 95-year-old mother is finally winding down, sleeping more, eating little, no longer reaching for her water cup; a slow fading away.  She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease 16 years ago come April.  It has truly been a long goodbye, but there have been many blessings along the way. 

It really is such a blessing that there are so many joys in the midst of our sorrows, and that the Lord's sustaining, comforting presence overshadows the difficulties so that there truly is peace in the midst of pain.

Grandkids, celebrations, and the blessings of our Lord and Savior's birth have characterized this month.  I'll type out our Christmas day menu at the end of this post.


I have a December birthday, but my family didn't let me go without a celebration despite the rush and crush of Christmas activities.  Our daughter (bottom, center) made a beautiful supper for us including that DELICIOUS strawberry cheesecake upper left.  And Farmer John gifted me with a Tilley hat and Muck brand boots--now, if I haven't outgrown my insulated coveralls (!) I really have no excuse for not accompanying him to do winter chores.  




On Christmas day, John and I shared an impromptu dance while we waited in line for our plates at the Christmas brunch buffet hosted by our son and his wife.  John says we've watched too many Hallmark Christmas movies and it is beginning to impact our behavior.  Not necessarily a bad thing!!!  

I'm so in love with our Christmas tree this year that I'm letting it stay until the New Year.  I usually take the tree down the day after Christmas.  


Christmas Brunch Menu
Hot spiced fruit
Cinnamon rolls 
Bacon and link sausages
Sausage gravy and biscuits
Corn pancakes with maple syrup

Afternoon
Hot spiced cider
Dipped pretzels
Party Mix
Cheese balls 
Summer sausage and snack crackers

Evening
Ham and cheese sliders
Chicken salad sandwiches
Vegetable soup
Vegie tray

When Melinda brought out the vegetable tray we were all, like, oh yes, vegetables, we remember those...good idea!!!  

There were ten of us present, and needless to say, we ate well.  

Thank you Lord for the year on the farm, for our family, for our country, for the many blessings we've enjoyed, and yes, even for the sorrows we've endured.  We are so grateful.  Blessed be Your Holy Name!  

The Lord is the strength of his people...Psalm 28:8

No comments:

Post a Comment