March 2014: The Children Are Tender

Caregiving, teaching little kids to read, and riding in the pickup with Farmer John; I tweet, pin, and blog, from my home in rural Kansas. If you've landed here looking for information about my books, visit my author's page by clicking this link: Amazon.com/Linda A. Born. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Beautiful September

Perhaps because I was a teacher for so many years and loved returning to work each fall, September is my favorite month. Well, until October comes and then maybe I'll say it's my favorite. And I'm fond of November too; perhaps we'd best just say Autumn is my favorite season and leave it at that.  I worked so hard on descriptive passages in The Children Are Tender that I think I'll be lazy this evening and use a quote from the novel to describe how I feel about this golden month:
In September, the leaves of the cottonwoods, wildflowers, and grasses became tinged with shades of yellow and amber so that the sun’s reflection from grasses and petals caused the light itself to appear warmed with shades of gold.  The Children Are Tender, p. 48.  
 The light is truly beautiful in September here in Kansas, as summer's harsh brilliance is muted.

Here's a photo of the front porch of the little yellow house; I'm pushing the season a bit with my mums and pumpkin:
My grandpa plucked this tractor seat from a pile of scrap metal on his farm and gifted it to my husband. That was about 40 years ago, and so this seat is probably 80 years old. Farmer John welded the seat to the legs of an old metal chair, and it has graced our front porch ever since.  

Above is an example of that beautiful September light. One afternoon about 20 years ago, my father-in-law stopped by and planted a little oak sapling in our side yard. Oaks are slow growing, and this sturdy little tree is still young.  It is beautifully shaped, and always reminds me of the Scripture, "They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor."  Isaiah 61:3



No comments:

Post a Comment