March 2014: The Children Are Tender

Caregiving, teaching little kids to read, and riding in the pickup with Farmer John; I tweet, pin, and blog, from my home in rural Kansas. If you've landed here looking for information about my books, visit my author's page by clicking this link: Amazon.com/Linda A. Born. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Catching Up

Back in November I hurt my hip and have been unable to do chores with Farmer John since. I suspect this is bursitis.  My grandma had bursitis.  My current mode of contending with this discomfort is to ignore it and hope it will go away.

I've missed mornings on the farm but things like Thanksgiving, Christmas, four birthday celebrations, a New Year's Eve gathering, and a Super Bowl party have kept me busy. And now the weather is so cold here in Kansas that I'm not minding hibernating just a tad longer.

I do hobble to the middle of the road in front of our house nearly every evening to watch the sunset, and while Lydia would write a word picture by way of description, I just snap a photo or two:





 We've  adopted a new dog, a big yellow lab named "Moose" who will not hold still to have his photo taken but just like his predecessor, Mort, he is a good, sweet boy nonetheless:


 I've done lots and lots of cooking including these ham and cheese sliders and a cast iron skillet full of biscuit topped chicken pot pie; Anna would be proud:



At the web site this month you can register for the February/March drawing for a chance to win a complimentary copy of The Children Are Tender. 

The Reading (pronounced "redding"), Kansas book club was gifted complimentary copies of The Children Are Tender with the only stipulation being they were to find another club to pass the books along to when they were finished. The books have now traveled from Kansas to Texas, and in a couple of months will be ready to make their way to a new locale. If your book club would like to read The Children Are Tender, message me through the web site's customer contact page or via Facebook. 


Have a safe, warm, February and I hope I'll have more farm news to share next post! 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you have been out of commission, no cutting ice or anything fun??? Those sliders are yummy and the CI pan of pot pie looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, I came upon your website God, Mom, Alzheimer's and Me through Vee's blog. I am beginning that unfortunate journey with my mom and have been interested to see what help/information I can find on the web. I've done a bit of reading on the alz. assoc message boards and have found a lot of angst there - as well as a lot of helpers. I found this blog when you referred to your other blog and thought I'd stop by. Moose is adorable. You can't beat labs and golden retrievers as wonderful dogs! We have a sweet little min. schnauzer who is adored by all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I somehow overlooked your pending comment and have just found it, please forgive me. I'm so sorry you are facing Alzheimer's with your mom, but let me encourage you from my perspective eleven years down the path of my own mom's Alzheimer journey: your heartache will be tempered by joy, unexpected blessings, and provision for your every need along the way. God bless and keep you.

      Delete